Preparation Time: 10 minutes (ya right - it took me like 45)
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Other Time: 5 minutes
Cuisine Type: Italian
· 2 cloves garlic (~2 tsp)
3 tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted
· 2 cups spinach, baby, packed
· 1 cup basil, fresh, packed
· 1 cup cheese, ricotta, part skim milk
· 1/2 cup parsley, fresh italian / flat leaf
· 2 tbsp cheese, Parmesan, low sodium
· 2 eggplant, cut lenghtwise into 1/4" thick strips
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 1 cup tomato sauce, no salt added
· 1/2 cup cheese, mozzarella, low sodium, grated
1. Place the garlic, sunflower seeds, spinach, basil, ricotta, parsley and Parmesan in a food processor and puree.
2. Set aside.
3. Preheat the broiler.
1. Brush the eggplant slices with the olive oil.
2. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 10 minutes, flipping once after 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Set the oven to 400F.
5. Spread half of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9" X 13" baking dish.
6. Place about 2 tbsp of the spinach and ricotta mixture onto the short end of the broiled eggplant strips and roll up to form a cylinder.
7. Place the eggplant rolls, seam side down, on top of the tomato sauce in the baking dish.
8. Cover with remaining tomato sauce and mozzarella.
9. Bake until cheese melts and tomato sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes.
10. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.